Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

So I decided that I am going to participate in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer this year in Chicago. I am trying to lose weight and get into better shape and I think this will help keep me motivated. Also, I would be walking in memory of my grandma.

My grandma and grandpa raised me and my sister from the time I was two years old. My grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was born. she was treated and had a mastectomy. She was in remission for many many years, but when I was in high school she started having some health problems. She had heart palpitations and lots of digestive problems. One night her stomach swelled up so much she looked like she was nine months pregnant, so we went to the emergency room. After waiting all night, they said she just had indigestion and to go home. The same thing happened the next night, so we went back. They still said it was indigestion, so they sent her home again. Finally, her cardiologist had her admitted. The Dr's couldn't figure out what was wrong, so they decided to do exploratory surgery. They found tumors all over her body. Apparently they missed some of the breast cancer 17 years before and it had kept spreading. She didn't want treatment, so we made her comfortable at home until she passed away. She was only in her early 50's.

I want to walk in memory of her. I can't believe she never met my husband or our baby. She taught me so much and I miss her every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment